Ball Bearing Batten Systems
Faster, Easier and Safer
Sailing professionals around the world choose Ronstan batten systems for superior and innovative features combined with race-proven performance and reliability.
- With 7 track sizes in the standard product range, there is a system with the right specifications for every boat and sail plan.
- The range includes all elements for a complete system, including headboard plates and batten receptacles.
- Easy track installation using patented slug connectors.
- Ball Bearing cars run on twin races of recirculating ball bearings that engage with the track profile for excellent all round performance, even when reefing while sailing off the wind.
Series Usage Recommendations
SERIES MAX.LENGTH OVERALL MAX.SAIL AREA Mono Multi Mono Multi m ft m ft m2 ft2 m2 ft2 SERIES 14 12 40 9 30 38 409 30 323 SERIES 19 14 46 11 36 44 474 37 398 SERIES 22 18 60 12 40 58 624 46 495 SERIES 26 20 65 14 46 85 915 65 700 SERIES 30 23 75 17 56 120 1292 93 1001 SERIES 42 34 112 26 85 310 3340 230 2450 SERIES 55 52 170 39 128 700 7500 525 5650
Rugged DurabilityCars run on twin races of Torlon® ball bearings specifically designed for the high compression loads of these systems. Machined alloy end caps ensure precision bearing performance and durability of the cars. Reef cars are available for the larger track sizes for higher strength at critical loading points.
Flexible SolutionsLuff Groove tracks allow racer/cruisers to switch between their "soft luff" racing mainsail and their full batten cruising mainsail. These tracks are usually bonded to carbon masts with special adhesives or mechanically fastened to alloy masts.
Universal headThe head assembly incorporates a brass bearing washer to provide smooth 360° rotation of the post and shackle. A set screw arrangement allows the head to be locked at 0° or 90°. Shackles are high quality forged grade 316 stainless steel.
Installation OptionsA patented connector slug system, compatible with a wide range of mast profiles, is available for Series 19 to 30 track sizes. The system enables installation of the track over an existing luff groove without lowering the mast, drilling and tapping for fasteners, or other complications. The slugs are self-locating, for simple, reliable installation.
Captive Ball Batten Systems
Strength & Simplicity
The batten car system combines the performance of ball bearing cars and the convenience of easy removal of mainsail and cars from the mast.
- Cars run on twin races of captive Torlon® ball bearings and alloy end caps for precise, low-friction performance. Captive slide rods provide extra strength for high static loads.
- The Captive Ball system provides optimum performance for raising, lowering and reefing the mainsail while head to wind or luffing. (For extreme sailing, reefing while sailing off the wind, etc. we recommend the full ball bearing car and track systems).
- Simple and secure attachment. The Dyneema® Link is easily fitted and is retained securely by a moulded retainer clip.
- The Captive Ball system is a convenient choice in conjunction with Luff Groove track, for easy changeover between racing and cruising mainsails.
Series Usage Recommendations
SERIES MAX.LENGTH OVERALL MAX.SAIL AREA Mono Multi Mono Multi m ft m ft m2 ft2 m2 ft2 SERIES 19 14 46 11 36 48 517 41 441 SERIES 22 18 60 12 40 58 624 46 495 SERIES 26 22 72 16 53 105 1130 83 893 SERIES 30 23 75 17 56 120 1292 93 1001
Performance & StrengthCars run on twin races of captive Torlon® ball bearings and alloy end caps for precise, low-friction performance. Captive slide rods provide extra strength for high static loads.
Ball Joint ArticulationA stainless steel ball joint link between the car and the batten receptacle provides movement in all directions with a minimum of 105° (112°for ball bearing cars) either side of centre. Ball joint links are available to suit Ronstan batten receptacles and most other types.
Flexible SolutionsCaptive Ball cars use a combination of captive recirculating ball bearings running on the face of the track for compression loads, and sliderods to provide extra strength for high static loads. All bearings are captive, allowing for easy installation and removal.
Luff groove tracks are compatible with ’soft luff’ and fully battened mainsails, making it easy to change between the two. They may be bonded to carbon masts with special adhesives. Quick release cars make the job easier when the sail needs to be removed for changeover, repair or stowage.
Installation OptionsInstallation can be greatly simplified for Series 19 through Series 30 by the use of threaded slugs that locate in the existing luff groove of the mast, avoiding the need to drill and tap holes for fasteners and other complications. Slugs are self-locating and allow for track installation without having to remove the mast from the boat.
BallSlide™ Batten Systems
Quick, Easy and Reliable
Ronstan’s Ballslide™ system makes raising and lowering the mainsail quick and easy. Recirculating captive ball bearings ensure free running performance, and since the cars
use the existing luff groove of the mast there is no need to install a track.
- With a complete range of car profiles and feet there is a Ballslide™ solution for most available mast profiles and luff groove shapes on boats up to 18m (60ft).
- Ballslide™ cars run on twin races of recirculating ball bearings specifically designed and oriented for compression loads. Hoisting and dropping the mainsail has never been easier! Ball joint links for batten receptacles and quick release pins for intermediate cars are configured to minimise the distance from mast to mainsail luff.
- Ballslide™ cars are easily loaded, and just as easily removed from the luff groove of the mast. Larger boats using the Series 8 system may opt for cars with quick release ball joints for the batten receptacles to facilitate initial setup or removal of larger mainsails.
Series Usage Recommendations
SERIES MAX.LENGTH OVERALL MAX.SAIL AREA Mono Multi Mono Multi m ft m ft m2 ft2 m2 ft2 SERIES 6 12 40 9 30 38 409 30 323 SERIES 8-SHORT HBC 16 53 11 36 53 570 42 452 SERIES 8-LONG HBC 18 60 13 43 60 646 48 517
PerformanceFree-running performance while raising and lowering the mainsail is provided by cars that run on twin races of recirculating ball bearings specifically designed and oriented for compression loads. Minimum distance from mast to mainsail luff enhances mainsail efficiency, and when used with Ronstan batten receptacles the luff is always on the centre line.
CompatibilityThe complete range of car profiles and adapters provides the right Ballslide™ solution for the most widely available mast profiles and luff groove shapes. Selection tables and luff groove gauges simplify specification.
Flexible SolutionsIndividual cars can be used in conjunction with a bolt rope on 'soft luff' sails which have only a top full-length batten, or simply as low friction sail slides on larger yachts.
Please note, Paul is using Series 6 BallSlide™ cars. An updated car/foot identification & replacement parts overview can be found here.